Saturday 24 January 2015

From the archives: Welcome to the Chemical age

Originally published in the Coalville Times newspaper in early 2002

When I was a trainee reporter at the Coalville Times, a weekly newspaper based in Coalville, Leicestershire, back in the early noughties, my colleagues and I came up with the idea of writing a series of classic album reviews - in short, a rather self-indulgent opportunity to wax lyrical about one of our favourite records.

I'm not entirely sure why I opted for Exit Planet Dust (with hindsight, I probably would have gone for something like Endtroducing) but I guess it was a pivotal album (even if it isn't the Chemical Brothers' best) and, besides, my colleagues chose records like Daft Punk's Discovery (good, but it had only been released a year earlier so hardly qualified as a classic) and Notorious BIG's Life After Death (I've honestly never rated Biggie as a rapper) so I suppose I was just trying to be different.

Anyway, below is a scan of the original review as it appeared in the paper - I no longer have the original draft (I wrote it at work) and I can't quite summon up the will to type it out manually (although I may do if enough people complain that they can't read it).

Click on the image to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment